Tuesday 8 January 2013

Domestic helpers

A lot of my friends and family members have asked about domestic helpers/maids.  It is definitely very normal for families to have a live-in helper.  Most apartments have an area for this type of help and ours does as well.  I think the original use of them was as a bomb shelter but over time that has changed.  These rooms are very small and pretty much only fit a twin bed.  Their room is in the back the apartment off the kitchen and are not air conditioned but usually have a fan.  We apparently are lucky because our room has some nice built-ins.  They also have their own bathroom.  They will come and go via the service elevators and use the service entrance to the apartment.  Here are pics to show what we currently have.

This is the room.  The bathroom is just across the hall.
 
 
As you can see they have to shower in the middle of the small bathroom.  They also usually do not have hot water. 
 
These helpers work long days and take care of pretty much everything.  They clean, cook, wash cars, run errands, walk dogs and take care of the kids.  Sunday is the only day they have off.  The whole concept is out of my comfort zone.  To have a stranger in my home doing everything is hard for me to grasp.  Of course I will enjoy not cleaning the toilets but what am I going to do all day?  I know that for these women the opportunity to come here and do this work is helping their families back home have a better life.  Most are from Indonesia, Thailand and the Philippines.  What really hit me hard was that they are leaving their own kids and families behind.  They will send most of their money back home and keep very little for themselves.  We are expected to pay for their medical treatment, which is apparently very cheap here, in addition to having them live with us and their food.  From what I have heard most only go home after 2 years but I think they can go back once a year.  I would never want to do that but wow.  Wow!  I am very blessed.
 
We have decided to go ahead and try having live-in help since we will never have the opportunity to experience this again.  If it works out, great.  If not, then we look for part time help.  I just really hope we find someone who fits in with our family well.  Of course the most important thing is that she takes really good care of the kids.  
 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a good place to put K-Beck, Dippel and Mark when they come visit. You might need to pay her extra that week when they are there! Carrie

    ReplyDelete