Friday 25 January 2013

If I were sitting at a table with my girlfriends.....

There would be drinks, people watching and a ton of great conversation.  We have been in Singapore for about 4 weeks and I haven't been able to really have any girl time.  I could call them all but my husband might not be very happy with that phone bill.  Plus, it just isn't the same as being out somewhere sipping on a drink and just being with your amazing friends.  My husband is great and he is good to talk with but as most of us know, your husband just doesn't always get it and there are some conversations that are so much better with your girls.  So, it is Friday night and I really miss my girls so this post is going to cover what I would talk about with them if some how magically they would appear.  That would be amazing!!!  It doesn't help that my hubby has work calls most of the night with people back home.

You may want to grab a drink before you start this.  Here we go......

I have very little personal space.  People are everywhere and they really don't move so it is not uncommon to have someone bump into you or be so close you just want to walk away.  It doesn't help that they are pretty much always using headphones or texting/reading/watching tv on their phones so they are oblivious to their surroundings.  Just move over already!  Atleast I am taller than most so I can see where I am going. 

Skin whitening lotions are everywhere.  It is almost impossible to just walk up and grab a beauty product or lotion without it being skin whitening.  I am sorry but I prefer my fat to be tan versus blinging white in your face.  Make-up products are very expensive so that is definitely on my list of "must stock up on" while back in the states.  They also don't have all my favorite products.  :(

We wear short shorts.  And skirts.  People here definitely dress nicely and always put their best face forward but the women like things short.  Most of them are wearing really cute dresses but they are so short that I am afraid to even try to shop.  I really don't like the idea of my butt flashing the world.  Most of them are so short that they really can't bend over.  Please, do not drop anything!

Shoes are interesting.  This is a place where you walk A LOT!  You will see women all over in major heels or wedges.  Of course they also love flats and sadly the fit flops and birkenstocks have taken over.  I see many women wearing these and of course some are very glitzy.  I have to admit that I may try the fit flop if I can find a store that carries a 9 1/2.  Very hard to find larger sizes here.  This is also true for clothing.  If you are a size 10 or higher you are pretty much considered plus size and are very limited on stores that will carry your size. 

Apparently if you are not a size 0/2/4 (aka perfectly skinny) and a woman approaches you for a deal on a slimming treatment and you say no you must be crazy.  This also allows her to look you up and down with a shocked look on her face.  Thanks, you really just made my day.

Customer service is amazing.  We have hit up a number of stores to find what we need to get settled and it has been so nice.  Someone will watch you as you come in and when you start to grab something they will help you out and take everything from you as you buy and then have it waiting for you.  They will run all over and get whatever you need.  At restaurants they wait for you to signal for them and then pretty much leave you alone until they serve your food.  At most places you leave everything on the table for someone to clean up.  I will have to remember this will not happen back home. 

Ikea may have cheap prices but it is mandatory to have a drink (or many) afterwards.  This place is always crowded and people make a trip just to eat there.  It took us 2 1/2 hours to pick out what we were wanting and get out of there on a Saturday night.  Yes, we were dumb and went on the weekend but we had no choice.  People were everywhere and ALWAYS in the way and oblivious to people around them.  I need more stuff so I looked online and you can't buy it from the website and have it shipped.  No!  I don't want to go back!!!

Riding the MRT (subway) can be another adventure.  The kids love riding it and it is pretty cheap and usually very accessible to where you want to go.  It does take some time depending on how you have to transfer but it is so handy.  The MRT stations as well as the trains are amazingly clean and air conditioned.  Of course you are always surrounded by some shopping center at some point.  One of these centers is always packed with shoppers and an escalator maze.  I am finally figuring it out but can definitely get lost there very easily.  The main negative is that most of the time the trains are packed and getting on and off with kids can be tricky with others plowing through.  You feel like a pack of sardines sometimes.  I have heard at the peak times if you don't get out of the way they will just take you on/off the train with them.  Nice! 

 
Bad picture but this was from today on our way home from school.  They ask to ride all the time but sadly with them officially starting school on Monday they will ride the bus from now on.  I am looking forward to the bus!  I had to make two trips up there on Tuesday and Wednesday and then three trips on Thursday and today to get them to/from orientation at their separate times.  Fun and not cheap between all the taxis and MRT tickets.  Oh well, that is over.
 
Maids.  We went into an agency that was recommended to us by several people.  This agency was great to work with but on Tuesday I wasn't planning on setting up interviews for the next day.  The interview process was just crazy and so out of my comfort zone.  You are handed a profile for each girl and then given  around 10 minutes to interview them.  Of course they are eager to tell you what they think you want to hear and really don't answer many questions outside of what work they will do.  We had one that you could tell really didn't want to cook much and then one that seemed like she could be a little tough to work with.  We decided two of the girls would be great.  I should say women though since they are our age.  One was single and one had a daughter around Haley's age back home.  Both were very pleasant and had good references.  At that point we agreed for them to come by our apartment for a second interview that afternoon.  What????  I was not planning on things moving that fast.  Seriously nervous.  So Mason and I went to get Haley from school and got home just in time for the first one to drop in.  This is when they get to see what your home looks like and also see their living space.  The kids liked both of them but I could tell that they really liked the one who had a girl.  Of course she really was great with the kids and doted on Haley a lot.  I can't imagine leaving your kid back home for years.  Wow!  So, to end this long discussion, we have chosen a maid.  We are going through the application process right now that includes an online course that we have to take prior to being accepted.  We hope to have her here by the end of next week.  I think Chris is looking forward to someone else cooking.  I of course am looking forward to someone else cleaning and dealing with that darn dryer that I feel like never gets things completely dry.  Humidity sucks!  I am very stressed about getting ready for her and the first month or so of getting used to having a stranger in our home. 
 
It is really freaking hot here right now.  It has grown hotter since we first got here and we have heard it is going to get even hotter.  Yay!  Ugh.  By the time I walk down to wherever we are going I am sweating.  Poor Mason's hair is drenched on a daily basis and he gets annoyed with it.  Then once you go into a shop or restaurant you are freezing from the AC.  I have resorted to wearing exercise shorts under my dresses so I don't get "chub rub".  Lovely.  :(  Anyway, I am hoping to eventually get used to it.  I still don't think I will be wearing pants and long sleeves or jackets like the locals at any point.  I still don't get how they do that.
 
We have met some really nice people here.  On Tuesday Chris and I met parents of Haley's classmates and we really enjoyed talking with them.  It was nice to talk to others who are going through the same things we are.  I even met a woman whose family lives in our complex and one of her sons is Mason's age.  That has worked out so well and it was so easy.  She just walked up and sat down in front of me.  Imagine that!!!!  Thanks to her I have had some girl conversations and we have been able to vent some to each other.  I am also looking forward to meeting more parents at the bus stop on Monday.  I ran into one today who told me about things they do together after the kids go to school.  Yay!!!  It has also been great to hear where other expats do their shopping and find the things that we really miss from home.  It looks like soon I might have somewhat of a normal life with friends in Singapore. 
 
Ok, that is a ton of topics but I miss my girls and would really love to have them around me at such a difficult time of my life.  My friends all know that I speak my mind and tell it as it is so I thought it would only make since to do so in a post.  As you can tell I am having a lot of ups and downs and trying to keep up a positive front for my kids is getting exhausting.  I have been very frustrated at times but then very surprised and relieved at others.  I haven't had that moment where I just hit the wall and break down but I know it is coming.  Probably after the first time I try to drive over here.  ;)  Until then, one day at a time.
 
To my girlfriends back home, I love and miss you dearly.  Thank God for social media!!!!!
 
I promise the next post will cover some fun stuff we tried and pictures of the kids. 




4 comments:

  1. This is my favorite post yet. I really felt like we were sitting at a restaurant having drinks ... I can just picture you telling us all this! It's so crazy the incredible amount of change you have been going through. I can't even imagine! You are amazing, and such great wife and mom. :-)
    Before you know it, you will have a great group of moms from school to hang and vent and giffle with, because you are so sweet and fun to be around. But they better not ever be as amazing us!!! We will get very jealous. Hahahaha!
    Too bad you can't get some young, hot male maid to live with you ... that would make things REALLY interesting! I can just imagine your posts if that were the case ... I'm laughing just thinking about it!!!
    I admire you for being so awesome after moving across the globe. I miss you tons. Keep those posts coming! xoxoxoxoxoxo
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your post. I've moved a lot. There's a lot of ups and downs in the beginning (as with any transition), but it will get better. It's nice reading about what the transition is like. I wear a size 10 shoe, so would have a hard time finding any shoes there!! :( Christy P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Carey, I can't imagine handling so much at once! It sounds like you are hanging in there though, and things are obviously getting easier. Your blog has been very fun and interesting to keep up with, and Hannah has enjoyed seeing pictures of the kids! Embrace your new surroundings, they have so much to offer. You will be back home with friends and family before you know it, and "sipping" the night away! Best wishes to all of you, and we'll keep our fingers crossed for a cold front - hee hee!

    Heather Lumpkins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carey,

    Hang in there! I know this is a really awkward & stressful time, but try to endure. Take as many naps as you need. It will get a lot better. Pretty soon, you'll be able to enjoy your own explorations of the city, as well as some great times with new friends. (oh, and be sure that you & three kids use anti-bacterial after getting off the public transportation! I got sick a lot, and an blaming it on The London Underground!)

    Maria

    ReplyDelete